Monday, September 5, 2011

Make better choices!! for a better life

As I look out at the vast mountain range of the “Keyhole” with the 50 MPH wind hitting my face like a sand blaster, my stomach drops. Looking down, I see a rocky ridge 2000 feet down with a straight drop and to the left was the path up the massive mountain which I was almost there. I stepped back for a moment looked at the people I was with and saw that they were not going to do it. I started back down the boulder field and thought to myself I was almost there what am I scared of?  The drop?  The wind? Yeah I was scared but we are always scared of everything and this separates us from the ones who “can” and the “cants”. I start to tighten up my backpack and tie my shoes “Hey, I am going to do it!” my friends turn around and look at me like I was crazy. I told them it may take me some time but I will be back! I start to ascend back to the entrance of the backside of the mountain, the wind blowing in my face my stomach again starts to drop again as I climb over the giant boulders.
As I start to ascend to the side of the mountain I thought that this is crazy and saw others thinking the same way. As I start to climb the trough of the mountain I was testing myself because I have never finished anything in my life. I was 13,000 feet climbing one of the hardest mountains in Colorado for beginners and I was at this moment determined. Once I got to the top of trough I look over and there was about another 1000 feet to the summit but between me and that was a narrow corridor where I will be exposed to a 2000 foot drop but my determination was in overdrive so I start to climb once again. At the end of the suspension I had just 50 feet to ascend to the top as I dig in I felt like I was running up the mountain, I made it. The moment of achievement was upon me as the other people on the top were in awe of the surrounding mountains. I look across the vast mountain range and I felt invisible like I could do anything!
So this story was one of the many I can recall that I have accomplished in my journey through my adult life. As a kid I always started something and never finished it and now as an adult I understood why I made the certain choices that were “convenient” to me because it only took minimal strength from me. Now as I stood on that mountain I knew that life takes endurance mentally and physically just as the journey up the side of one of the tallest mountains in Colorado. You are probably asking what this means and why I am sharing this?
So life throws fear at us every day and it is the choices we make that makes us who we are and what trail you take. If you embellish the fear and allow it to take over you will soon realize that the choice was not what you wanted but the one that was “easy”. There are things we need to realize is that we second guess ourselves everyday but there are a few things to ask yourself and to think about before you make the hard choices.

  • Think about the long run- Remember the easy choice at the time most of the time is not for the best interest in the end. Weigh out the options before fully committing.
  • It may be hard now but it will reward you in the end- This is what I say to myself when I am making harder decisions, in some cases the easier decision is the best but don’t fool yourself.
  • Think logical- in most cases the emotions get in the way of making decisions. Take the emotions out of it and a good way to that is to just “Breath”

So with making decisions always take in your life and no one else unless you do have people who physically depend on. You can only make your self happy no one else can teach this and if you can finally make self control work for you then you can show others how great you really are!

No comments:

Post a Comment